3/1/09

(CLICK HERE) Can religion make us insensitive and unresponsive to pain and suffering of others?

Click below on the left sketch of the Good Samaritan parable. As you think about your life, family and sensitivity to risk, where do you see yourself in this sketch? And why?







Now, click on Luke 10 and read this familiar story again.
Why do you think the lawyer wanted to test Jesus? And what drove his question, "who is my neighbor?" What do you think are the top three lessons for us? And what may have been a not-so-obvious lesson about us? Do you still see yourself in the same place as before?

5 comments:

ld said...

It was not religion that made the priest and the lawyer insensitive but their pride.

Life is Good said...

I agree that pride is an issue. But is there more here that Jesus was trying to teach?

Interestingly, the story had three persons who had the obligation or opportunity to help the victim. I wonder WHY Jesus (and/or Luke) casted those who ignored the victim as religious leaders? What was it was about their, or our, religious beliefs and traditions that prompted them (or us) to ignore someone's need for help? Or, to your point, to develop the pride that ignores someone's need.

On a different track, does Pastor Mike's view who the victim and the Samaritan represent (http://www.toledofirstadventist.org/article.php?id=646.) make sense to everyone??

Sorry for the duplicate and revised message. I realized the original message was not very clear, so I revised it. I'll do better editing next time!

Mike Fortune said...

Yes, does my take my sense? Since it was an expert in the law who asked the question and represent the people passing by, there are only a couple other options for who we are in this story. How we [I] missed this most of my life boggles my mind...You can also read my take on Luke 10 in its entirety here: http://toledofirstadventist.org/article.php?id=644

Anonymous said...

I believe that Luke 10:37 makes it clear we are suppose to be the Samaritian.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. But what is the "take" being discussed here?