Years after the resurrection of Jesus, Paul told the Galatians: "But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!"
And, Paul also told the Romans: "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek."
Here's the first question: Is the "gospel of the kingdom" Christ preached during his ministry the same "gospel of Christ" Paul preached during his ministry?
Although used often, the term, "gospel" means different things to different people. In fact, it's safe to assume we also attach various meanings to the "gospel," as we use it in different contexts, but yet expect others to understand precisely what we mean, when we say it.
For purposes of clarity, can you summarize your view of the gospel in ten words or less? I liked this idea and grabbed it from Demian Farmworth's blog Fallen and Flawed. Here's what he says...
"Just like a book title doesn’t explain all 75,000 words in a novel. Neither does a tiny summary of the gospel explain the complex nature of salvation found in the Bible.So, here's the second question: Can you create a book title of your view of the gospel in ten words or less?
Yet we still have book titles. And we still have short summaries: John 3:16.
Naturally everything needs expansion. The thinking behind the post is essentially this: If you can’t summarize what you believe in ten words, do you truly understand what you believe?Yet we still need book titles. And we still need summaries of what we believe. Why? The thinking behind the post is essentially this: If you can’t summarize what you believe in ten words, do you truly understand what you believe?"
Are you up for it? Let the book titles of the gospel begin!
11 comments:
And oh, by the way, see if you can come up with your definition off-the top-of-your-head. That's what this is all about--discovering the mental model of the gospel we carry in our heads.
To the question of gospel book titles:
-- God's love and grace saves those who trust in Jesus.
Okay, so, if I were to read the above titled book, what would I discover? ...How much trust in Jesus is required? How do you show & measure trust? Is it that God's love and grace save only those who trust more than, say, 50% of the time?
I don't mean to be so anal! I'm just wondering when at what point the grace and love would kick in.
Anonymous2
Hey A2, great challenge!
Don't know how many A's we'll have on board on this discussion, and I certainly can't speak for A (which I presume is A1), but my guess, if I were asked to do the gospel book peak preview, might be...dramatic like Luke can be.
...Just when Jesus thought no one else believed that he was the Messiah, one of the thieves on the cross beside him, said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom!"
And Jesus replied, I tell you the truth, today (right now), you will be with me in paradise."
Whatever the process is in which God gives out and grants grace, (which Paul says is a mystery after all), I trust that all God's abundant love and grace just kicked in and gushed out from heaven and bathed that thief in God's saving mercy. Instantly.
Here's another dramatic example from Luke...
...When the woman who lived a sinful life wiped and kissed Jesus feet with her tears, perfume and hair, Jesus said: "Therefore I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves." Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." Bam! Again, God pours out abundant mercy and grace necessary to save. Instantly.
What do you think, A2?
Powerful examples – hope it’s really that way because then I still stand a small chance. But... the thief & woman had huge advantages in that they could physically see and experience who they were believing in…probably even witnessed a miracle or two. And the thief also had the advantage that he didn’t live much longer(and therefore didn’t have to stress over staying saved).
For some, it’s no effort at all to buy into any of the numerous gospel versions out there. For others like me, it’s a struggle. Do you think God has some other gospel or plan B to accommodate different personality types? If God is going to eventually draw ALL men (and women ;-) to him, _THEN_ is when it will feel like love and grace to me. Until then, salvation seems to be a deal reserved only for those who can feel and live out qualities like faith and trust. Conditional and exclusive.
I truly don’t mean to be such a downer! This is how I experience the whole gospel gig and probably why my spiritual journey feels so lonely & different.
A2
Hey A2,
I hear you, and absolutely know what you're saying and feeling. I'm right there. I felt the same way, and sometimes, revert to those old feelings, less now than before, but I clearly understand.
But what's helped me to see things differently is to take a look at the "Giants of Faith" in Hebrews 11...these folks were singled out as top players in the Faith Hall of Famers.
The story I liked most was Abraham, who really would not qualify for "Honest Abe" title, yet God chose him.
Read his fascinating story, or at least what Moses says about his life, from Genesis 12 to say, Genesis 23, then pause a bit on Genesis 15-17. To me, the core of Abraham is the promise God made him in Genesis 12:1-3 when he "called" him, and how Abraham trusted God to deliver on the promise, despite what he felt about it. And as a result of his trust, God saved him right there and then (Genesis 15), before he was circumcised and 430 years before the 10 Cs. Compelling drama.
Then take look at what Paul says about Abrham and faith in Romans 3-4 and Galatians 3-5. Is this the same guy Moses talked about?
Love to hear your thoughts about the icon of faith, and the one whom God called out of a pagan family and background to be the father of Israel, and, on whom the first definitive statement of salvation by trust was made, 430 years before Moses received the Law.
Work through those chapters, and if okay, I'd like you to let those passages challenge your thinking (and feeling), and see where God leads in your study? Let me know if you continue to feel lonely on your spiritual journey after reading Abraham for a few hours. Let me know if you how you think about the "conditional" thing.
And if you're still thinking that way, let's check out David! LOL.
Are you okay with that? Of course, happy to chat through too. Very cool stuff. Let;s talk about the "ahas"!
OBTW, let me suggest one cool exercise when you're feeling doubt about salvation. Learned this from a great Bible scholar and friend.
What is 2+2?
Well, how do you feel about it?
IMHO, Abraham and all those hall of famers learned to master that equation.
Of course, there are many other Hebrews 11 characters besides David, but I like his story because God said David was a man after his heart.
I think the Gospel is the good news that God loves us like crazy!!! He would rather die than spend eternity without any one of us. Luke 15 says that three different ways. Whether you're a lost coin and don't know your value, a lost sheep who knows something is missing but can't do anything about it, or even if you're like the prodigal who has been taught these things about God but still intentionally chooses to get and stay lost, God still searches and anxiously waits for just you.
Re: gospel book titles, not sure I could top Brennan Manning's "The Ragamuffin Gospel" but someday if I try, I hope the editors let me stick with "Love Like Crazy".
Hey LIG, thanks!
I’m usually allergic to the OT. But since you took time to outline a study guide for me, I’ll have a look at both the OT & NT chapters & will let you know how it goes. And Luke 15.
A2
Hello all of you!
This is A, or least one of the many. Never seen so many Anonymouses. I was the one with the shortest book title of the gospel, and which A2 questioned, and which LIG felt free to interpret and suggest long commentaries before I did. Oh yeah! Help yourself to my ideas LIG! Feel free!
My reaction?
I'm cool with the discussions, and miffed that Fortune used "God Loves Us Like Crazy" to grab the lead on shortest definition while I was busy this weekend! Pretty catchy and overwhelming, I must say. He's got that down! I'll have to Google Ragamuffin later, but Fortune's got the lead on best gospel title so far under 10! But I'm still competing.
Now, before A2 asks what he or she would find if they read the book of Fortune's title, (which LIF apparently felt okay answering before I did, not to stress too much about it) I guess that Fortune will talk about stories of the good shepherd who searched for his lost sheep, the woman who searched for her lost coin, and the father who ran out and welcomed his lost younger son (spoiled brat) home, and pleaded with his lost older (worker bee) son to come in from his work to join the party. What I like about the stories in Luke 15 is the joy and partying that goes on when lost are found. Makes me think of Hybel's mantra...
"Lost people matter to God."
There's a great title!
Now, I enter this gospel 6 word title too!
"God parties when lost are found!"
Call me A1, but I'm not sauced!
And A2, let me know how the LIG study guide works out for you!!!! Mine would have just done the NT.
God is here and now, for the salvation of mankind.
Post a Comment